DEMO AVAILABLE: TRY VNGEN FOR FREE!
Easily create dynamic visual novel content and sequenced animations with VNgen by XGASOFT. Powered by Quantum, VNgen uses a powerful scripting system within GameMaker Studio, breaking the limits of GML to deliver high-quality presentation both in the IDE and on target devices.
A complete rewrite of the popular Edge VN, VNgen reimagines visual novel design from the ground up, providing access to advanced features previously only accessible to high-budget studios with custom engines. As a sequenced animation platform the possibilities are endless, offering a combination of built-in transitions and animations plus support for user-created animation scripts using simple keyframe logic. As a visual novel engine, VNgen supports virtually limitless entities of every kind, all part of a flexible, modular structure which can be customized to suit almost any user's needs.
Just want something simple? Good news: VNgen handles the complex stuff so you don't have to. Many functions have both simplified and extended counterparts, offering something for every level of programming experience.
Building a full game? Great! As an extension of GameMaker Studio, VNgen can be used entirely on its own or as a layer on top of your own custom code and game mechanics. You can even integrate your own code into VNgen without modifying anything!
In addition, VNgen features...
Fully resolution and framerate independent design
Compatibility with desktop, mobile, and console platforms (HTML5 partially supported)
Event/action structure with over 10 different types of entities to create, modify, animate, and destroy
Advanced text generation with markup for style, speed, pausing, links, and more
Four-color gradient blending for most elements
Dynamic mesh support for most elements - bring your characters to life!
Advanced 2.5D camera-style perspective
Custom depth sorting of elements within a single object
Composite character system with unlimited layers
Built-in multi-language support
Built-in debug mode with command console and a host of real-time statistics
... And much more! (Seriously.)
VNgen isn't just a visual novel engine--it's a completely new way to create content in GameMaker!
vngen_file_save_mapto facilitate adding VNgen data to fully custom save files
vngen_code_executefunctions for running arbitrary code as VNgen actions without the use of scripts
vngen_set_lineheightto support per-entity lineheight multipliers
vngen_room_gototo optionally allow skipping to a VNgen event upon room change
vngen_gotois run while the engine is paused
For a full list of changes and compatibility notes, see online documentation at docs.xgasoft.com
* Replaced internal timing functions with a simpler, more versatile timing system
* Added automatic checks to preserve custom text alignment when drawing VNgen
* Previously it was required to manually reset
draw_set_valign before drawing VNgen. This is no longer necessary, as VNgen properly handles both functions.
* (Requires GameMaker Studio v184.108.40.2065 or newer)
* Added automatic option results logging. Setting an option block ID in
vngen_get_option now returns user selections from any previous option!
* Option selection data is now also saved/loaded with VNgen file functions
vngen_file_load_map for restoring saved VNgen data to a user-defined
ds_map for later usage
* Improved file functions
* Fixed loading only restoring the VNgen object and not the event, in some cases
* Save/load can now be performed in non-VNgen objects
* Save files now also record the active room when saved
* Improved rendering on scenes and debug interface
* Blending is now consistent between full/reduced and legacy render modes
* Texture filtering is now disabled on debug interface for more legible text
* Improved handling of speech animations when text and voice are active simultaneously
* Fixed an issue where prematurely skipping text with an indefinite pause skipped the text, but not the pause
* Fixed incorrect backlog touch scrolling at non-standard framerates
* Fixed perspective shaders drawing a blank frame when initialized
* Fixed mouse interactions in HTML5
* Miscellaneous additional fixes and improvements