Warning: this asset is experimental and likely always will be. It is intended for advanced users only, and may not perform as expected due to limitations within GameMaker Studio. Most HTML5 platforms are not supported. This asset is not intended as a replacement for native media extensions.
It's finally here: full video playback in GameMaker Studio...in native GML! No extensions, no DLLs, no platform-specific libraries. With Edge FMV, a few lines of simple code are all it takes to get your videos playing on nearly every platform supported by GMS.
Note that traditional video formats (.mp4, .avi, etc) are not supported. These formats must be converted for playback with Edge FMV using the included MakeFMV custom video conversion application (now with GUI!). Also note that due to performance limitations only one video may be played at a time.
• Updated EULA for Patreon distribution
• Updated MakeFMV to v18.104.22.168, adding advanced options to set video framerate, dimensions, and image quality (use with caution--see documentation)
• Fixed a crash when using the 'all' keyword with edgefmv_unload
• Updated documentation to a new format
• Updated MakeFMV to v1.3.0 with minor improvements to the GUI, as well as functional improvements including even better support for nonstandard paths, fix for command window not showing up on conversion, and fix for some antivirus software generating a false positive when running MakeFMV.
• Added edgefmv_get_time script for reading the playback position of FMVs
• Updated MakeFMV to v1.2.0 with GUI frontend, custom output paths, and better support for nonstandard paths (e.g. not on C drive, paths with spaces, etc.)